Monday, October 22, 2012

To-do-lists, our life in a PowerPoint slide show and a home study on the horizon!

We finished our training this past Saturday (we will have to renew some training every year until the adoption is final). It was a long day but not as torturous as the past Saturday. There is an incredible amount of information to take in. I was so thankful there were two sets of ears instead of just one. Before we left training they gave us an idea of what would all be required once we were foster parents. I hope and pray that somehow I can remember everything that I need to when the time comes.

This was us scouting a wedding location almost 9 years ago. Sorry for the blurriness, had to scan it in.


Home studies were discussed in more detail this Saturday as well. We will have a family interview/meeting, a couples meeting, and all three of us will have individual interviews. They'll also go through our house and inspect everything. We were given a check list and discovered that much of what we had done for our home health inspection through the county and the fire inspection through the city will not be enough. Another fire extinguisher needs to be hung upstairs, tools need to be locked up, and cleaning supplies need to be locked. All have been added to the already long "To Do List."


Can you imagine having to unlock your cabinet or go outside to your locked storage unit to get dishwasher liquid, soap for laundry, counter cleaner, bleach, etc? All vitamins and anything topical also has to be locked. This is going to take some getting use to. We had been told that cabinet latches and placing cleaners high enough would be okay, but not the case....so it gets added to the list.
My husband and Me at a Packers Football Game probably 6 years ago.



After training we enjoyed some time with new foster-to-adopt friends we met during training at one of our favorite Italian chains. It was great to be able to let our guards down after feeling so judged and scrutinized in training and to be able to talk about the process with people who understand what we are going through.

Sunday my husband left for Graham to get some mowing done and to check on some things. T and I stayed behind mowing, pulling weeds, doing laundry and cleaning around the house. I can't remember the last time I was this sore, yuck. But I appreciated his help mowing!
My husband and his sister sledding.
 

My mind has been full of lists of what I need to do (and mostly what my husband needs to do), what I need to buy, stores I need to visit, things that need to be cleaned and the like. I have lists everywhere and feel a little disorganized right now. Feeling slightly overwhelmed I opened my email this evening and noticed an email from our agency asking if we could do the home study NEXT WEEK! I guess I better get on top of my lists and get some things checked off. So glad T and I got the yard work done and some house cleaning. My cake decorating classes and training for a 15K have gone down the toilet lately, they have fallen on my priority list for the time being, but for what I feel is a good reason.
Love this picture of hubby and T 

The home study will consist of 2-3 visits. After it's completed and all other forms have been turned in (we still need finger prints and a couple of other things), it will be written up by the agency and then....that's it. Our agency will forward us broadcast when they feel it's a good match. We will then review the broadcast and okay it or not. If we give the okay to continue they will submit our home study to CPS. We were encouraged to make a PowerPoint to send in with the home study of 4-5 pages about our family including pictures. Not sure how I'm going to fit our life into 5 slides on a PowerPoint, but I'll try (something else to add to my lists). I started going through pictures this evening and have included some in this post.
 
Me in Paris on our honeymoon at Notre Dame Cathedral
 
Then CPS chooses which family is the best fit. We will be judged by a few written pages from the home study and a PowerPoint slide show. Doesn't that seem crazy?! One of the biggest decisions in our life will be mostly controlled by someone else and they will be making their decision based on a few interviews, how safe our home is and a PowerPoint with pictures. When I think about it, it just sounds insane.....trust, that's all I can really do, is trust in Him. If/When we are chosen we'll have pre-placement visits and wait, perhaps a few weeks or maybe even months, before "they/he/or she" will actually come home. I'm obviously simplifying this piece of the process a little but you get the idea. We were told that because we chose sibling groups and are a little more open on age it may not take as long as it does others.

T in the middle, our cousin on the left, and my nephew on the right


I do not know how things will unfold this next week, next month, before Christmas, or next year but I am trusting in God to see us through this. I imagine over the next week or so my blogging will be limited as I'll be quite a busy bee preparing for our home study, or should I say "judgement period." If you catch me during this busy time I ask that you please encourage me. I promise you I have heard all the horror stories of how this has gone wrong for so many others and all the "what ifs." That is not where I want my thoughts to be nor do I feel like that gets me anywhere.

Me in NYC in the lobby of the Empire State building----->
 

While sometimes I'm a bit of a dreamer we are quite realistic about this process and aren't expecting roses and rainbows every second of everyday. We expect it will be pretty tough most days. We are preparing the best we can through discussions, education and prayer. I ask that you pray for us too. In the mean time I'll try to keep you updated.

To include or not to include, that is the question. I think I would have an angry teenager if I snuck this one in. Love this picture of him being silly though. Ultimately we will all have a say on which pictures make the cut.
 

Thought I would end on a good scripture that I find uplifting: "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." -Isaiah 41:10


My husband surprised me on our 1 year anniversary with a hot air balloon ride. A very nice stranger saw us and followed us around taking a couple of pictures, found where we landed, got our email address and then emailed them to us. So glad to have this photo!






1 comment:

  1. Y'all are going to do amazing!!! Just be yourselves (even Thom..haha), and they will love you! Loving this journey!

    ReplyDelete