Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Cake Decorating: First Lesson

Me, Bake??
 
If you know me your probably surprised. I'm not one for spending my free time in the kitchen.

I attended my very first cake decorating class. It's always something I wanted to do but didn't have enough courage to sign up by myself. Well, I did it. Since I spend a good portion of my day alone I was looking forward to getting out and meeting some new people. The idea of making my own cakes for parties, showers, and special occassions has always been appealing as well.

When I signed up for the class at my nearest Hobby Lobby I was given a list of supplies, which totalled to more than the class itself which was only $20. With my new apron, 6 flat cookies, and decorating tips I entered a.... empty classroom. Yup, I was the only one who had signed up. So much for making lots of new friends.

I quickly tried to settle my disappointment by realizing that for the next four weeks I would be getting one on one attention from Betty, the instructor. She must be in her 60's or 70's, has been teaching classes for over 5 years and has taught over 750 students. While I'm disappointed I won't be making lots of new friends who share my desire to learn how to decorate cakes, I do look forward to spending time with Betty who's absolutly lovely.

The morning before class I realized I hadn't made the 6 cookies required. I settled for a semihomade reciepe and used a heart cookie cutter.



The first evening was pretty basic stuff. We went over all the supplies, the plan for classes, and then the fun began. We made homeade buttercream frosting. Using a star technique, I decorated some of the cookies I had brought. Here's the finished product once I go them home and put them on a platter. The didn't look this way for long.
 
 
 
Next week we'll be decorating an actual cake and I look forward to posting about my time spent with Betty.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment