Wednesday, October 31, 2012

A Bittersweet Halloween

This Halloween I didn't hand sew a costume or scrounge through the costume racks looking for something we just couldn't do without. No Halloween candy buckets were purchased.  We never visited a pumpkin patch. I didn't make use of my camera snapping all I could of any cute munchkin sitting with the pumpkins. No carving here either. We're even skipping our Wednesday Family Dinner so T can spend the evening out with friends, far away from us (typical teen). I won't be walking around trying to race after anyone while they collect the candy they've been impatiently waiting for all month. Instead, this evening I'll be happily hiding in my home with the lights off, not passing out candy, but preparing for tomorrows home study that will hopefully lead to the fun and chaos that will come next Halloween or some future Halloween.


We have one thing left on our adoption application to complete, T has to have a doctor check-up and needs a letter stating he's up to date on immunizations. That's it. Everything else has been turned in. Such a good feeling to know that we've completed the application part.

Tomorrow is the big day and we've been trying to prepare. Our To-Do-List isn't disappearing as fast as we would like but somehow it will all get done in time before our agency's rep comes tomorrow evening at 5:30pm. Please pray for our home inspection, that I remember to put all the electrical plugs back in, that I found every medication and locked it away, that ever screwdriver is accounted for and safely stored in the locked shed, and that we communicate with her the best we can during our interviews (feel free to add anything you would like to your prayer!). She'll be back out a 2nd time at a later date to recheck things, so if we accidentally miss something we will just have to have it fixed by her second visit, so I'm trying not to stress to much.

Also, prayers for my sweet Kati who had a vet appointment during my lunch hour today for a small lump on her chest. After taking a sample and viewing it under the microscope the vet announced the mass was pre-cancerous. Most of the cells were fat but there were some that looked like cancer. Surgery in her near future to remove the mass.

The average life span of a Boxer is 9-10 years, she'll be 10 in February. She's slowed down a bit in her old age and is a little banged up from a horse accident but overall she does great. Hopefully we can get this mass removed and she'll be good to go for a few more good years. I know she would enjoy some extra hands (or feet, she doesn't discriminate) around the house for petting!

While it's mostly been a pretty discouraging day finding out my Kati is sick, I'm trying to keep my sights on Him and to all he has in store for us. I read a biography a while back written by a woman who survived WWII and eventually made it to America. During the war when she was in a concentration camp she talked about how she longed for the days she considered boring, the days she sat around her home reading, doing homework, and feeling like her life was just plain dull. On many occasions in the past I have complained to my husband about how boring we are and begged to do something, although I didn't know what. After reading that book I am trying to be more thankful, for all things good and boring.

On a more positive note, we are looking forward to my husband's best friend and his wife from WI visiting this weekend. We'll be eating lots I'm sure and enjoying spinning tires, deafening loud engines, tire pieces flying up on our faces, and checkered flags waving on Sunday while cheering on our favorite NASCAR drivers.

Prayers for a safe Halloween for all of you!



3 comments:

  1. All of our adoption home studies were always nerve wracking. The not so fun part about the adoption process in my opinion. I usually stressed way too much about the appearance of our home, etc. and when the case worker came to visit, that was really the last thing on their mind. They just want to ensure it's a safe environment for the children and to get to know you and your family better. I found at our homestudy visits that the caseworkers more often than not had the best intentions and were just as hopeful as we were to get a sweet baby in our home (sooner than later).

    I'm sure all will go well and yes, it will be a great relief to have it behind you. :-)

    Sending prayers and hugs your way for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer. I think we've done all we can do at this point. We appreciate the encouragement and prayer!

      Delete
  2. Hi,

    I have a quick question about your blog, would you mind emailing me when you get a chance?

    Thanks,

    Cameron

    cameronvsj(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete